Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Saturday, February 3, 2018

My Connections to Play

My Connections to Play

“Play is the soil from which a child grows. Let her flower naturally, organically and in her own timing.” ~ Vince Gowmon
“If it’s not fun, you’re not doing it right.” ~ Bob Basso
“Play is the answer to the question, ‘How does anything new come about?’” ~ Jean Piaget

When I look back at my earlier days, I remember a much simpler time.  I remember making mud pies, playing in the rain, and making blanket forts in the house. Of the three, I think making the forts was the most memorable. Building the fort meant time with my mom and sometimes my older brother. My brother liked looking for new and better ways to make the fort larger. Makes sense now that he is an engineer. Both my mom and my brother would let me help in making the fort by showing me how to build it or by asking me what I had in mind. We used blankets, tables, chairs, TV trays, big books, and clothespins to make forts. When it was finished, I would spend hours in my fort. I would have my favorite blanket and pillow and many of my stuffed animals join me in my fort. Oh, and a flashlight, of course! Sometimes I would picnic in there and other times I would spend time drawing and coloring. I even remember my mom joining me for a picnic or reading to me in my fort. If I was really lucky, I was allowed to keep the fort up and sleep in it for the night. My dog liked joining me in my fort, especially if I slept in it. I loved making and hanging out in my forts.



     

I feel play today has changed somewhat. In my own experience with my children, I saw them still play in this manner when they were younger. My youngest is 11 now and she still wants to play like this sometimes. The difference now is all the technology that I did not have when I was growing up. If she were to build a fort now, she would want to take her Kindle in there with her or her MP3 player. She would take all her blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals in the fort with her. Even though my own children’s play was similar to my own, I do not feel like this is the case for most children. It seems like we keep our children busy with homework, technology, and organized sports. With all the activities we have them doing, it leaves little time for imaginative, creative play.

“We’re all a little weird, and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” ~ Dr. Seuss
“A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men.” ~ Roald Dahl

I chose these two quotes for adulthood. As adults, we need to remember what it was like to play and to laugh.  More importantly, I hope most of us have not forgotten how to play. A little play throughout our days is what keeps us young at heart. The other part is to remember to laugh. Being able to laugh even when things are not going quite right will get you through it. The quote from Dr. Suess is our family mantra. We love our weirdness and we tell our children to embrace their weirdness. It’s okay to be a little weird or to have our own quirks. These things are what make us who we are and it will help in keeping your grounded.

Play and laughter have been influential throughout my childhood and into adulthood. I believe the fact that I have not forgotten what it is like to be a child is what has helped me relate to my children and to my students. Showing children that it is okay to be silly and to use your imagination brings joy to me. I hope I am just as much to be around as they are to me. 

References

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia,
    I absolutely love your blog this week.
    Your quotes made me chuckle as I wish things were that easy to just build a fort and not have to do nothing but color. That was the life back in the day LOL. I totally feel like children do not know how much fun that was to do. I also remember having class with all my baby dolls. I see you think having tea is cool though. I can say this; my daughter does the same thing I use to do as a child. She lines all her baby dolls up in the hallway along the wall and she teaches them and reads books to them. I just smile as I listen to her she is so serious though. I also love how you say it is ok to be silly; children need to know that it is truly ok. I use to love making silly faces with the children in my classroom and then be spontaneous with it makes the laughter just erupt. The sound of children laughing is one I never get tired of hearing.

    I enjoyed reading your blog this week.
    Thanks again
    Tanesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best quotes ever! I am one of the weirdest people I know and I absolutely love falling into a friendship with someone equally as awkward. It also pains me to see children afraid to play because they are slightly different. That was me as well as a child. Thank you for encouraging children to embrace their weirdness and to continue to find enjoyment in play!

    ReplyDelete