Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Professional Goals, Hopes, and Dreams



Professional Goals, Hopes, and Dreams

The biggest issue regarding quality and early childhood professionals where I live and work is the recent vote for teachers to walk out next week on April 26th. Although this affects all teachers, support staff, and children and their families, it is still a discussion concerning recent issues and trends in early childhood. The reasons for striking effect all of us. I feel this relates to our current discussion regarding professionalism because teachers are standing up for better pay for themselves and for support staff, and for their students. They want consistent funding for better infrastructure, up-to-date curriculum, and smaller class sizes. Without these things, schools and programs cannot possibly be effective and high-quality.  Joe Thomas, president of Arizona Education Association, wrote an opinion piece on January 18th, 2018 that pretty much states the same things but added how our current governor takes away and/or cuts this funding only to reinstate some of it later, call it ‘new money’ and take credit for helping out (Thomas, 2018). Issues such as this, a current lawsuit, and not seeing any real evidence to the promise of future funding, is why teachers are going on strike. Our governor promised a 20% increase in teacher pay by 2020 with no real proof of funding for the promise (Irish, 2018). Our local school district, at first, was allowing only 25% of staff to request time off during the strike. Shortly afterward, our superintendent made a statement that he would work with the schools, staff, children, and their families with what he called “new territory”. It will be interesting to see what teachers in my area will do, especially after watching my Oklahoma teaching family walk out. I do not see it affect where I work since we are a small private school not affiliated with the district. I also saw teachers in Phoenix were already taking donations of food for children who might go hungry if they do walk out.
For my little school, we are adding our 3rd Prekindergarten classroom next year. We have an increase in numbers over the last few years with one of our classrooms had 21 students with 3 teachers. I am happy to say that I will be in this new classroom with another teacher. I taught Kindergarten with her last year due to large class size and followed this large class up to 1st grade this year. We will be working over the summer (we are a year-round PreK program) to get our classroom ready and working on being a more cohesive team with more planning and professional development. My co-teacher will also be our supervisor. Previously, all things went straight to our director. I am excited about all the changes and opportunities for our school. To make this work, we are no longer offering 5th and 6th grades. Our school will only go to 4th grade and aligns with our local district. Elementary school is K-4th; Middle school is 5th-6th; Junior High is 7th-8th; High school is 9th-12th. We follow NAEYC guidelines for teacher requirements and professional development. Our local community college provides an AA in early childhood. You can apply for scholarships to help with the cost through  First Things First Arizona and the Arizona Early Childhood Workforce Registry. Most of our assistants and co-teachers have gone through this program. We also attend area conferences to keep up with the latest news and research.
One of my goals was to continue my education so I could increase my opportunities within my school with the potential of moving on to new things. Currently, I am happy with my adventure in our newly added prekindergarten classroom next year. I will still have a few long days when it is my turn to help in the after school program instead of every day like I am doing right now. I also am one of the substitutes for all the classrooms that will not happen next year.  On the other hand, I will still be responsible for tutoring Kindergarten through 4th-grade students with dyslexia using the Barton Reading and Spelling System. At least I will go to wearing many hats, to only wearing two!
As far as our profession as a whole, I hope to see prekindergarten available to all children. I also hope to see our profession unified under one system and following the same guidelines that are developmentally appropriate. I want play seen for what it is--the foundation for all learning. I want our pay to reflect the hard work we put into our profession. I want to see our profession as a whole to be respected by those who do not already respect what we do.
References
Arizona Early Childhood Workforce Registry (2018). Retrieved from: https://www.azregistry.org/index.cfm?module=login

Associates of Arts in Early Education (2018). Retrieved from: http://catalog.yc.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=12&poid=2535&returnto=1050

Barton Reading and Spelling System (2016). Retrieved from: http://bartonreading.com/

Irish, Lisa (2018). Governor proposes a 9% teacher pay raise this year, building to a total of 20% by school year 2020 (+ videos). AZEdNews. Retrieved from: https://azednews.com/governor-proposes-a-9-teacher-pay-raise-this-year-building-to-a-total-of-20-by-school-year-2020/

Thomas, Joe (2018). Teachers won’t fall for governor’s claim of ‘new money’ (Opinion). Arizona Capital Times. Retrieved from:





6 comments:

  1. Trish,

    I enjoyed reading your post this week. Watching the media coverage on the stand teachers are taking has had my wheels turning and my educator's passion burning. I made a direct connection upon listening to our segment from Delila Vasquez (2011), this week. She discussed the movement the nurse profession made in earning respect and appropriate compensations and working hours. They did so by protests and walk-outs. I immediately began to think, that is what it is going to take from us as well. Walking out! And just like the nurses did, we will still do everything we can to ensure our children and families are taken care of while we take a stand. It's a beautiful thing to hear that teachers were still making sure the children had food and were cared for. Thanks for sharing!

    -Crystal

    Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Issues and trends in the early childhood field: Excellence and equity of care and education for children and families—Part 3. Baltimore, MD: Author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystal! I agree, I hope we gain the much needed and long overdue respect through all of this. It also warmed my heart to hear teachers were preparing for a strike by collecting food. Go figure....teachers going the extra mile!

      Delete
  2. Trish,

    I always enjoy reading your work, and this week's post was very personal. I am so glad to hear you will have a prekindergarten class to share with another. It will be such a great experience! It's also wonderful that you're fulfilling one of your goals by partaking in this master's program. It's one of my goals as well, and it's nice to be in the process of checking this off the list :).

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara! I am very excited to have a more fixed situation for the next school year. It is also a relief to know that the other teacher and I work well together. I have also enjoyed having you in the same classes. I feel like I am sharing this journey with you!
      Trish

      Delete
  3. Trish,
    I have watched on the news how teachers across the country are standing united in hopes of gaining fair compensation. Recently our school and public bus drivers have gone on strike. There is talk from my schoolteacher friends that they are trying to unite to do the same. It is unfortunate that people have to take such a stance for others to value their work. I appreciate the glimpse you provided into your world and I admire the dedication it takes to achieve goals that you have set. I really enjoy reading your writing. You provide such a clear point of view and I learn a lot from you. Continue to strive and I wish you all the success in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hope! Yes, it is a shame the lengths it seems teachers have to take to have their voices heard. I am also proud of them for advocating for themselves, for colleagues, and for the children. I also want to thank you for your kind words and your insights. I am sure we will share another class or two.
      Trish

      Delete