Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Research around the World


Research around the World

I decided to look at the website Early Childhood Development Virtual University (ECDVU) Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). Their focus is to build early childhood development (ECD) training to Sub-Saharan Africa through online courses and training paired with local training and universities. Participants of ECDVU are nominated by ECD country committees. Participants can complete a certification program or a Master’s degree.
I found this website the most intriguing because I wanted to see what type of research is being conducted in Sub-Saharan Africa. I am an American Citizen born outside of the U.S. At the time of my birth, Eritrea was still a part of Ethiopia. Eritrea gained independence in 1995. Naturally, when I saw research was conducted in Eritrea, I had to read about what was done and whether or not it was successful. The author considered culture when discussing and enriching parenting styles in promoting and improving childhood development. The research involved creating a “Parenting Enrichment Manual” and a “Trainer of Trainers Manual” (Habtom, 2004). Each Zoba (village) would have separate trainers to accommodate the different cultures and beliefs (Habtom, 2004). When I looked into whether or not this modeling continued, I found that it had not due to the Eritrean government not signing the appropriate documents to facilitate the funding to continue the project (Eritrea-NCO, 2011).
I also found from looking at the various research titles that the topics were similar to topics here in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and Europe. I feel that the research conducted in these countries influences research conducted in developing countries. Several of the research topics in Sub-Saharan Africa include training programs and assessments and pilot studies based on improving quality of early childhood care and education. It was interesting to look briefly at the different types of research being conducted in this area and how they are related to research I have studied during my courses at Walden University.
References
Early Childhood Development Virtual University (ECDVU) Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). Retrieved from: http://www.ecdvu.org/ssa/index.php

Early Childhood Development Virtual University (ECDVU) Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). Retrieved from: http://www.ecdvu.org/ssa/major_reports.php
Eritrea - NCO - Integrated Early Childhood Development Project Ii (English). (2011).  Retrieved from: http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/208311474555795757/Eritrea-NCO-Integrated-Early-Childhood-Development-Project-Ii


Habtom, A. (2004). Improving the quality of childcare through parenting enrichment and training of trainers: The Eritrean model. Retrieved from: http://www.ecdvu.org/ssa/documents/major_projects/Habtom%20-%20MP%20Final%20-%20UVic%20LP.pdf


4 comments:

  1. Trish, thank you for sharing about your research. From your post this sounds like a great organization that can help support the development and learning of young children. It is unfortunate the government did not follow through with the assignment. You mentioned that many of research topics were similar to U.S, Canada, Australia, and Europe. I also saw this throughout my research. I looked into Early Childhood Australia which is an organization conducting research to help support development of young children. This organization is almost identical to NAEYC and has the same expectations, values and beliefs. It was interesting to see the connection between the organizations and understand the goals are almost universal even in different countries. Thanks for your post!
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing This is a very interesting website to look over. I to noticed the similiarity of the topics as I researched ECH Australia. I like to believe that at some point someones else's research influenced another individual to research a sub topic and so on. Therefore resulting in this great material to read and follow in their footsteps to do our own research.

    LW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish, Thank you for your post. I was intrigued by the Early Childhood Development Virtual University (ECDVU) Sub-Saharan Africa. I loved reading your personal connection with the area and what information you were able to take from it. It also continues to intrigue me how some of the issues we, in the ECE field, are faced with in the US are also issues around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback! It is refreshing to see that others around the world are doing their best not only to educate people in the early childhood field but also the children. It is hard to see the difficulties some countries are experiencing. I feel it is important to stay vigilant and hopeful.

    Trish

    ReplyDelete