Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Friday, June 29, 2018


When I Think of Research…


The disparity of discipline between ethnic groups and its impact on academic achievement was my research simulation topic. I chose this topic because it has been well documented for decades that this disparity is a serious issue with serious implications and not enough has been done to change policy and/or to change professional development. I gained valuable insight into terms such as “cradle to prison pipeline” and “student to prison pipeline”. These terms are used to explain a trend in discipline that affects Black/African American children to a point of not only falling behind academically but puts them on a path to fail later in life.
My simulation is important to the field of early childhood because we need to change not only the way we discipline but also the way we approach cultural responsiveness. We need to tailor discipline to be proactive rather than reactive. We also need to have professional development training in cultural responsiveness and self-awareness of our biases.
 If I were to conduct my simulation proposal the first group to benefit would be Black/African American children. Secondary beneficiaries would include educators and society.
Conducting this research simulation has modified my perceptions of early childhood professionals by solidifying my belief for effective, high-quality programs so all children have the same chance to be successful.
I want to thank each and every one of you for your positive feedback and comments not only on my blog but also in our discussions. I regard each of you as a colleague and I have connected with many of you. These relationships are invaluable and I feel fortunate to share these experiences together.

Trish



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting trish. i love your topic it is indeed a very important one as this is the reality we have been faced with for decades. We have to break that now. Thank you again for being on this journey over the past eight weeks your input was indeed valuable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadine! It is indeed a topic I felt compelled to study further and share because of how long it has continued to go on. I want to believe that we are on the upswing and not a downward spiral. I have also appreciated your input over the last eight weeks.

      Trish

      Delete
  2. Trish, your research topic is very interesting! This topic does seem to be very current and an issue that should be addressed. It is amazing how predictions about a child's future can be predicted at such an early age. Thank you for your contributions throughout this course; I have enjoyed reading your work!
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete