Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression


The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

What memory do you have of an incident when you experienced bias, prejudice, and/or oppression, or witnessed someone else as the target of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression? Keep in mind that one can encounter such incidents in real contexts, including online environments, as well as in fictional ones, such as movies, books, television shows, and the like.

I can think of many instances of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression over my lifetime. Most of them have to do with sexism. A few were instances of ageism. I decided to talk about a memory where I experienced ageism. My experience with ageism was not because I was too old, but because I appeared to be too young. I was in a store shopping and had my oldest child in the shopping cart. At the time, she was about 12 months old I was almost 27. I was pushing the cart towards the check-out and was talking to my child when I heard someone make a sucking in sound/cluck of disgust/disdain. When I looked up, an older woman was shaking her head with her clear disapproval of me having a child. She made a comment to her friend about young people having children too early and out of wedlock. I not-so-kindly showed her my wedding ring and let her know my age. I was angry and hurt over the incident.

In what way(s) did the specific bias, prejudice and/or oppression in that incident diminish equity?

Besides being hurt and angry, I also did not enjoy the feeling of needing to defend myself to a stranger about my personal business. It diminished equity because I felt I needed to defend myself over the hurtful comments due to my appearance of looking “too young”. I can also say that it diminished equity through sexism due to “mom-shaming” or the stereotype that younger women are not or cannot be good mothers.


What feelings did this incident bring up for you?

With the above feelings of hurt, anger, and the need to defend myself, I also felt inadequate. Looking back on how I felt during and immediately after the incident has helped me to see how internalized oppression can affect a person by making them question experiences versus abilities. Although I know I had the ability to raise my child, this experience made me question whether or not I could or would be a good mother. Being a new mother is scary enough without the messages I received over ageism and sexism. Internalized oppression is not only when a person begins to believe the message they receive from others but also when people from the marginalized group begin to believe these messages and turn against one another (Axner, n.d.)



What and/or who would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity?

Several things would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity. First, many females, including myself, would have to stop internalizing stereotypes we receive every day through messages we hear in everyday talk and media. Both ageism for young and old and sexism in the form of “mom-shaming” is harmful to women/girls. Secondly, I feel that “mom-shaming” can be more harmful than the messages we receive from men. With these two thoughts in mind, I feel a stronger “sisterhood” between females would form a united front against sexism from the opposite sex. This stronger “sisterhood” would also alleviate the ageist stereotype that young women are not or cannot be good mothers.

References


Marya Axner (n.d.)  Healing from the Effects of Internalized Oppression.  Community Toolbox. Retrieved from: https://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/culture/cultural-competence/healing-from-interalized-oppression/main




No comments:

Post a Comment