Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Thursday, August 23, 2018

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression: Continued


The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression Continued

“What is one hope that you have when you think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds?”

My one hope I have when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that they feel welcome, safe, and nurtured in my classroom. I want them to feel that my sincerity is real and not just a smiling face.

“What is one goal you would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice?”

One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is genuine acceptance. All children and their families should feel worthy and they should have the same advantages as the dominant culture. I love the quote from Raffi that Louise Derman-Sparks used in this week’s media segment: “Every girl and boy is entitled to love, to dream and belong to a loving village and to pursue a life of purpose” (Laureate Education, 2011).

I want to thank each one of you for sharing your stories, thoughts, and experiences with me. I have learned so much from all of you through our discussion boards and blog posts. It has also been refreshing to see that through our experiences, we have grown into our roles as early childhood educators who will ensure the future will be brighter for the little ones in our care. I am happy to have all of you as my colleagues. Hope to see you in a future class!

Trish


References

Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Diversity and equity work: Lessons learned [Video file]. Retrieved from: https://class.waldenu.edu

3 comments:

  1. Trish,

    I love that you included the Raffi quote in your post. I almost did as well because of the impactful message it carried. All children deserved to be loved and feel like they belong and I feel we learned how to support that message in this course. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences and thoughts these last weeks, I have genuinely enjoyed them!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish, I also noted that same quote this week in my notes. One of the most important things an educator can do is make sure their students understand they are important and are presented with the same opportunities. Thank you contributing different stories and knowledge throughout this course!
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish,

    I resonated with your hope for children and families to sense your sincerity as real. I often worry that people may develop myths about my kindness or believe I have "fake" intentions, whereas they are genuine and serve to help others. The best way to demonstrate sincerity is to build relationships and create a welcoming, safe, and nurturing environment. Thank you for sharing your thoughts over the past eight weeks! It is always a pleasure reading your posts and learning about your thoughts and perspectives :).

    Tara

    ReplyDelete