Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Friday, April 26, 2019

Time Well Spent Week 8 EDUC 6990


Time Well Spent 

https://wordart.com/3rausnncjuel/word-art

I decided to start this week’s blog post with a word cloud with all of the interconnections plus some of the concepts that have inspired me over my coursework at Walden. Looking at my word art, I also feel the impact of each of these things and all are a part of my growth.

There are three deeply felt learnings I gained from this program. The first thing is what I learned about myself by creating my diversity profile, social identities, and biases. Looking at my childhood profile and comparing it to my adulthood profile helped me to see what childhood experiences formed who I am today. It also helped me to realize that messages children receive at a young age stay with them and that it is my responsibility to do all I can to ensure that these messages are positive for healthy development. Lastly, by looking at my social identities profile (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 31), I was able to see both the advantages and disadvantages of being who I am.  What I discovered is that I have equal advantages and disadvantages due to my social identities. Some of my advantages include “White, European American, English-speaking, sexual orientation, and education” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 31). Some of my disadvantages include “gender, age, ability, and family structure” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p.31). Understanding my social identities has helped me to relate to others’ experiences by doing my best to put myself in their shoes.

This program has also helped me to be a better communicator. The largest obstacle for me was voicing my opinions and thoughts at work. Even though I have a great work environment, there have been times where I wished I would have voiced my opinion or shared an idea. After learning about how to be an effective communicator and how to use nonviolent communication during conflict, I am more confident in sharing my ideas, voicing my opinion, and speaking up respectfully during times of minor conflict.

The last thing I have learned from this program is that passion and vision can lead to positive social change. Working through my challenge has been the most amazing experience. I took my passion for integrating nature-based play, worked through realistic goals, and formed a reliable community of practice. The best part is I get to see my goals turn into reality. The team at my school is already implementing parts of my project. My co-teacher and I have begun implementing nature-based activities such as hatching chicks and going on nature walks. Next is building a chicken coop on campus, remodeling our garden, and attending a week-long nature-based camp.

My long term goal would be to see nature-based play fully integrated into Primavera School and building a long-term partnership with Prescott College. I am also hoping to continue learning about nature-based play through our partnership. I am also envisioning future employment and continuing education with Prescott College.

I want to give my deepest thanks to Dr. Embree. It was a privilege to have you as my first and last instructor. You were there at the beginning to help ease my anxiety in pursuing my degree and at the end to encourage me to think deeply about my passion, how to put it into words, and to help me see it through. I also want to thank my colleagues. Without you all, I would not have grown as an educator. I have learned so much from all of you. Everyone’s support was also invaluable. Many of you were in all of the same courses, discussion groups, and/or blog groups. I love the effective educators that we have all become! I wish all of you my very best. I know you all will rock in whatever your future brings.

I’m going to leave you all with one of my favorite quotes: “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.” “It's not” (Dr. Suess, 1971).



If you wish to stay in contact, here is my email address: trishy0302@gmail.com


3 comments:

  1. Hi Trish,
    I have loved reading everyone's "deeply felt learnings," it's offered a great snapshot of all we have covered throughout this program. I remember creating my diversity profile and how hard it was, unsure of the purpose at first. But as we move through the course, I realized, as you did, that it was necessary to identify our social identities in order to see how they were an advantage or a disadvantage. I also share your thoughts on communication. I feel much more confident sharing ideas that may not be popular, and have a more well-rounded understanding of conflict. I am in shock that our time together is over, it's going to feel so weird not having homework! I know that you will do great things in the future, congratulations and best of luck!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia,

    It has been my pleasure being able to interact and gain new insights through our discussion and blog post. A place where our opinion matters and our voices were heard. Wishing you the very best in all your future endeavors.

    Paola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish,

    I love the word cloud you created! It's symbolic because we started out at the beginning of this program with little knowledge or understanding of what we would gain, and here at the end we have absorbed and grown so much! I enjoyed reading your hopes and goals, and I hope you are able to accomplish them in the years to come. It has been a pleasure getting to know you and learning from you over these past ten courses. Congratulations on completing your Master's! We did it! :)

    Tara

    ReplyDelete