Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Friday, October 12, 2018

Adjourning


Adjourning

Adjourning is the final stage of a group where the group members move off into different directions (Abudi, 2010). Groups that make it to the fourth stage of performing will have formed strong bonds with each other and will feel a sense of sadness before moving on to other things (Abudi, 2010).

Looking back at all the different groups I was a part of, I feel like the hardest thing to do was to move on from the friendships I made during my early college days. Some of my closest friendships are from this time. We did everything together to include studying and hanging out. Through these bonds, we learned how to navigate life together. Because we were all growing into who we are today, I feel like we were a high-performing group. We are like family because we supported each other through the good and the bad and we never judged each other for our mistakes or differences. Each of us moved away to pursue our own paths and we were able to say our goodbyes. I am happy that even though we do not see each other on a regular basis, most of us have been able to keep in touch through phone calls, sending cards, and social media. Regardless of the time that has passed between us, I know this group of friends will always be a part of my foundation. Adjourning is an essential stage of teamwork because it gives us time to reflect on both the positive and the negative things that occurred during that time. It also gives us an opportunity to have a sense of closure of one time or project and an opening to something new.

Many of you have been in every class with me here at Walden University. Although we do not know each other personally, I feel like I have learned so much about each of you and from each of you. The feedback we give one another has been invaluable and I will miss our weekly communications. I hope as we part ways (adjourn) that the experiences we have shared carry all of us into our next adventures! I would love to hear from any of you in the future!

References
Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html

6 comments:

  1. Trish, thank you for sharing about the different relationships you have established! In my post I did not talk about the friendships that I made in college, but I do agree that those relationships were hard to leave and as I reflect on those relationships now I realize that we do not communicate daily like we used to and it is sad to think that those relationships are not quite there like they used to be.

    I have enjoyed working with you throughout this class and I have learned a lot from the different stories and examples you have shared! I will miss our weekly communications as well!
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish,

    We both highlighted the transformation of friendships developing and carrying on after the "group work" has finished. I think you develop not only a passion for the goal you share with each to other, but also a passion and commitment for one another's success. And that feeling of wanting to support one another into the future is a key characteristic to sustaining the most meaningful relationships developed.

    Personally, I have enjoyed reading your work throughout our courses together. I feel like we share similar perspectives and thoughts about our field. I can't wait to finish our work together with great success!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish,

    What you spoke about is something I always feared, and have found it is happening to me as well. People always say they have trouble staying in touch with their friends from college, and while I was in college, I always believed that my relationships with my friends would not change. However, now that I have been out of college for the past couple of years, I agree that the relationships are very different because we do not see each other nearly as much as we used to. I still try my best to keep in touch, but that phase of "college" friendships have adjourned, and that is a natural part of life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish,

    I really admire what you said about your experiences at Walden. I feel the same way. I think we all feel the same way as well. We will forever be in the adjourning stage. Evaluation of what we learn helps us move forward out of the adjourning stage.

    -Kristiana

    Work Cited:

    Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patricia,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog. I have to agree that building friendships as I worked in groups was the hardest to leave because of the bond we had formed. I have to agree that I feel the same way about Walden not getting to know anyone personally, but I have learned so much from each and one of my colleagues. I have to say that I have had you in several classes and I love reading your blogs and discussions you have enlighten me with your knowledge. I wish you success in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish,

    I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you! We have been through many courses now, and I look forward to reading your work weekly. I have learned so much from you throughout our discussions and your personal posts. We have a mutual support and understanding, which is really neat because we have never met face to face! I hope we continue to go through the program together and I wish you the best of luck in all that you do!! :)

    Tara

    ReplyDelete