Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Week 7 Diversity Poem-Creating Art




Diversity

Diversity is within us.
Diversity is around us.
Diversity is what makes us unique.
Diversity is what binds us together.
Diversity is what makes us whole and strong.
Diversity is to invite love and understanding and
Diversity is acceptance of our differences into our lives and into our world.
Diversity is work, resiliency, and perseverance.

I wrote this poem based on my perceptions of diversity and based on what I have learned during this course. In this course and throughout my coursework at Walden University, I have learned the importance of understanding my own diversity and biases and how they play a role in the way I perceive others and how I communicate with them. I have a deeper understanding that even though I want to be accepting of all walks of life, my biases can hold me back from acting or behaving in the most appropriate ways. This is why I mentioned acceptance, work, resiliency, and perseverance. I should have also added acknowledgment to my poem. I have learned that it is okay to admit you do not fully understand someone else's viewpoint or that you do not agree with that viewpoint but can still accept them for who they are. Harro's (2010) cycles of socialization and liberation really helped me to see the ways I have changed and the ways I need to improve to make positive changes. 

References


Harro, B. (2010). The cycle of liberation. In M. Adams, W. Blumenfeld, C. Castaneda, H. W.
Hackman, M. L. Peters, & X. Zuniga (Eds.), Readings for diversity and social justice (Figure 7.1 on p. 53, 2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
Harro, B. (2010). The cycle of socialization. In M. Adams, W. Blumenfeld, C. Castaneda, H. W.
Hackman, M. L. Peters, & X. Zuniga (Eds.), Readings for diversity and social justice (Figure 6.1 on p. 46, 2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.


3 comments:

  1. Trish,
    Thank you for sharing such an insightful poem. I think your poem truly does capture the meaning of diversity. I agree that Harro's Cycle of socialization and liberation is a great guide to use when considering your own path for understanding diversity, but can also be a tool to understand others. Acknowledgement is definitely a major component of understanding your own bias and your personal thoughts towards others and their biases.
    Great job!
    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish,

    Wonderful poem!! I love how you highlight the positives of diversity and illustrate how everything ties together. As you said, acknowledgement is important too even if you don't see eye to eye with someone else. Thank you for sharing!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish,

    I admired your words as they truly speak from the heart. The image stood out a lot too because its a print. Everyone has their own print that signifies who they are. Sometimes, we forget what those prints me and that's where we learn all about what it means to be diverse.

    I have kept close Harro's Cycle of Liberation. It breaks down how we can help influence and make a change. From the beginning everything starts with you, especially your print. It all starts with you!

    Thank you!
    -Krissy

    Work Cited:
    Harro, B. (2008). Visions and Strategies for Change. Retrieved December 16, 2018, from https://geography.washington.edu/sites/geography/files/documents/harro-cycle-of-liberation.pdf

    ReplyDelete