Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Friday, December 21, 2018

Week 8 - What I Have Learned


What I Have Learned


One hope that I have when I think about my work with children and their families from diverse backgrounds is that they feel respected, appreciated, and welcomed in the classroom. I want them to realize that they bring value to the classroom and that I learn as much from them as they do me. I also want to make sure that their needs are met through open and honest communication. I hope that when both the child and the family leave my classroom that they feel empowered to accomplish whatever they set out to do because I have done my best and have given them the tools to do so.

One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field in regards to the issues related to diversity, equity, and social justice is that the entire field comes together to realize the importance of anti-bias education. All early childhood programs should be in the practice of teaching tolerance and acceptance of all children and their families. Until we all see the value of all people, we will not see the social change we so desire. I look at early childhood as the foundation for all other growth. So as early childhood educators, we are working at the ground level where all great things will be built upon if we teach equity and social justice. If we show children that we know that they are smart and kind, then they will grow up to be smart and kind and will be more likely to thrive (Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards, 2010, p. 1). Nothing is more important than making sure all children are able to succeed and are able to live in a more just world.

I want to thank each and every one of you for all of your hard work and dedication to the early childhood field. I also want to thank you for the kind words, input, and insights you have shared with me throughout this course. I have had many of you in every single course here at Walden and I have enjoyed sharing this journey with you. I wish each and every one of you continued success. See you in the New Year!




References
Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children
and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.


4 comments:

  1. Trish,
    Thank you for sharing your hopes and goals. The tone of your classroom is very important in order to establish a welcoming classroom for all children. This is a hope of mine as well, and I have realized how important this is when thinking about all children. I have enjoyed working with you throughout this course as well as many past courses. Hearing your stories and your opinions has been very insightful. I look forward to working with you in the future!
    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia,
    It has been a pleasure interacting with you throughout this course. Your blogs and discussion posts have been very helpful to me in seeing other perspectives on the issues we face in the early childhood field and I thank you for that. Your hopes and goals of wanting every child and family to feel appreciated and respected and having all early childcare professionals embrace anti-bias teaching are essential, as social inequities and biases undermine healthy development in all children, as noted by Derman-Sparks & Edwards (2010). Therefore, we as educators, should all be on one accord in ensuring that every child and their families feel that they are valued.


    Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves.Washington, DC: NAEYC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! It has been a pleasure working alongside you and learning from you throughout our courses at Walden. We only have one semester left and then we will be graduates! Good luck with your hopes and goals, and enjoy the holidays! :)

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrica,

    Thank you for sharing a little part of yourself with us. We have gained new insights, skills, and wisdom regarding ant-bias education. Wishing the very best in all your future endeavors. It has been a pleasure, hope to continue furthering our education together.

    Paola

    ReplyDelete