Featured Post

Personal Childhood Web

I want you all to know a little bit about my family. They are the ones who influenced, loved and nurtured me into who I am today. They are p...

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice


Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

As an early childhood professional, I need to consider any “isms” that may impact my personal life because they can affect my work with young children and their families.  In preparing for this blog, I reflected on the many “isms” that surround both my personal and professional life such as sexism, classism, ableism, and ageism. These “isms” along with the other “isms” such as heterosexism, racism and religion-ism, make maneuvering through society harm-free quite difficult due to the “biases that are built into the system” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 3) that provide either advantages or disadvantages depending on where you fit in. The dominant culture in the U.S. that is mostly depicted in the classroom, as well as public policy/laws, is “middle-class, White, suburban, able-bodied, English-speaking, nuclear family” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p.3).

When I assessed myself based on the “My Social Identities Portrait” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, p. 31), I discovered that I identified with half of the groups that experience discrimination and institutional prejudice. The one “ism” from my social identities that I am most passionate and conflicted about is ableism. Ableism classifies a person with any form of disability-physical, mental, emotional stability; learning; behavior controls as being less advantaged than able-bodied, healthy individuals (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 31). I am passionate about this “ism” because I am labeled/classified as a disabled veteran and because of my work with people with varying abilities. Because I do not appear to have a physical disability, some people feel comfortable stating their negative, biased views about people with disabilities in front of me which further drives my compassion as well as my feelings of conflict. I am conflicted for two reasons: I did not always openly identify as a disabled veteran or openly admit I have a slight physical limitation and the gap between inclusion and placement of children with varying abilities in the education setting.

My passion and conflict around the fair treatment and inclusion of all children, especially children of varying abilities, directly impact my work with young children and their families. While I fully believe in the inclusion of all children and their families in my classroom, I feel conflicted in my capacity to help them and what is expected through policy. While I am willing to and do accept all children in the classroom, policy directs me to assess the child, inform the parents, and possibly have the child placed in a special needs classroom and that is where the conflict arises. How can I teach inclusion, acceptance, and social justice when the institutional bias/policy outweighs these concepts? My solution is to keep these children in my classroom as long as possible, to openly and compassionately communicate with families about their children, and to work together on a plan to ensure the success of all children in the classroom. As cited in Ballard (2007) “research strongly suggests that being part of ordinary classrooms and schools results in disabled children showing more academic and social learning and more integration into school and community contexts than disabled children placed in segregated special education classrooms and schools” (Crawford & Porter, 2004; MacArthur, Kelly, Higgins, Phillips, McDonald, Morton & Jackman, 2005; UNESCO, 2005). I hope to see policy change to reflect the findings of this research so others like me who feel the conflict of addressing ableism in the classroom can work towards the social justice of all children we so desire.


References
Ballard, K. (2007). Education and imagination: Strategies for social justice. The Herbison Lecture presented to the National Conference of the New Zealand Association for Research in Education, University of Canterbury, 4-7 December 2007. Retrieved from: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.511.3922&rep=rep1&type=pdf
     Derman- Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and                 ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young                         Children(NAEYC).


4 comments:

  1. Patricia,

    I completely understand where you are coming from as an anti-bias educator we want to include all students in our classroom regardless of their ability. But, as a teacher who has a classroom with students with "special needs" it is a little difficult to manage and educate all students with out intervention help with a one to one teacher or receiving the resources they need to be a success in school and out of school. As a regular education teacher I see myself wanting to learn more about special education since our classrooms are going to be all inclusive, I believe our higher education should include this discipline.

    Paola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish,

    Thank you for being open and honest about your experiences with ableism. I feel ableism is a complicated topic to discuss because there are so many components to what each child is capable of and there are many layers to a child's disability. I work in a school with a special needs program and several of the students are in the general education classroom for parts of the day. I have seen both sides where these students are able to be successful in the general education class while others need more support which can not be given in the general education classroom. I agree there needs to be adjustment to the policies in place currently.

    Thank you for sharing!
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish,

    Thank you for expressing your thoughts on ableism and how it has affected you and your teaching experiences! The passion and conflict you're experiencing is one of the toughest aspects of the job. There are so many policies in place to help children in the most individualized ways possible, which can either involve inclusion or a special type of program. I agree that all children should be included in the general environment, but I also believe that some students do better in the specific programs more suited to fit their needs. I currently have a student in my classroom with severe behavior abilities. While there are moments where he benefits from our general classroom, I am not able to provide the help he needs to succeed. I believe he would benefit most spending parts of the day in the general education classroom and special education program. The programs may be "exclusive" but every child is different and not all children can learn in the generic education setting at all times. :)

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trish,

    Interesting that you took that self assessment. I too took it and what an eye opener! It was interesting because I found my bias was toward racism and it helped me reflect on the bias that I had formed without even realizing. This ABE curriculum has helped you notice what you can do to make it better but also what resoruces you can use that wil be practice for you and your families. I appreciate your honesty about the idea of ablism. That is irritating and I see myself sometime bias towards those who take the close spots when I think someone needs it. As I say this, it puts everything in perspective.

    Thank you for the eye opening reflection.
    -Kristiana

    ReplyDelete